We’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy
This notice explains when and why we collect your personal information. It also explains how we use your personal data, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
Importantly, this notice details how you can take control of your personal data and how you can contact us, if you wish to change, request or delete any of your personal data. Our privacy practices are in line with requirements set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
In order to provide you with the best products and experiences, we constantly evolve our services. We may, therefore, change this notice from time to time. We will post any updates on this page. By using our website, you’re agreeing to be bound by this policy.
Any questions regarding this notice and our privacy practices should be sent by email to email@example.com
SCOPE OF NOTICE – Who We Are and Who Does This Notice Apply To:
This notice gives information to those who visit our website, enquire about or buy a product from us, use our services, or otherwise communicate with us about where and how we process their personal data. This privacy notice is issued on behalf of The Unthanks, so when we mention “we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice, we are referring to The Unthanks, the company responsible for processing your data.
How Do We Obtain Information From You?
We primarily collect your personal data when you buy from us, contact us about products and services, or if you register to receive one of our newsletters. Although, we may also obtain information about you when you use our website, or communicate with us in any way (email, social media, calls, mail). We obtain information about you, for example when you:
- Use the website (including collecting data on your browsing habits);
- Register for, or create an account with us;
- Search for, purchase and/or return products to us;
- Communicate with us by phone, email or otherwise;
- Sign up for our newsletters of to receive other marketing communications from us.
Our website is powered by Woocommerce and we use Google Analytics to anonymously track the usage of our website. We use data from Google Analytics to improve our services. The data we collect is not personally identifiable.
What Type of Data Do We Process?
We collect data in many ways. Here we explain what type of data we collect. We’ll tell you how we use the data later. Some of the data you may choose to give us includes:
- Personal details such as your name, age, gender, date or birth, address, email and telephone number;
- Information you provide us when accessing our services using your social media account;
- Account login and password details;
- Financial and payment information;
- Details relating to your transaction history with us;
- Details of your shopping and product preferences.
We may also collect information from you due to your interaction with our website, for example:
Technical information: such as your time zone setting, the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, the Wireless Access Point used to connect to our in-store Wi-Fi services, your computer or mobile device and connection information such as your browser type, version, operating system and platform.
Information about your visit and traffic pattern: such as the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website, frequency, duration and usage of in-store services, products you viewed and searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visit to certain pages, page interaction information, basket contents and methods used to browse away from the page ; and email addresses and phone numbers used to contact our team.
We may also collect information from third parties, or combine your information with information lawfully obtained from third parties such as technical, payment and delivery service providers, advertising networks, social media platforms, analytics service providers and search information providers.
You can disable cookies on your computer by changing the preferences or options menus in your browser. However, it is possible that some part of our Site will not operate correctly if you disable cookies. Cookies help us to improve our website and deliver a better, more personalised service.
How We Use Your Data and Our Lawful Basis
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
Performance of Contract: this means processing your data where it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or to take steps at your request before entering into such a contract. For example, when you want to buy something from us.
Legitimate Interest: this means the interest of our Company is conducting and managing our business. This is to enable us to give you the best service, product and security. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) as well as your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
Comply with a legal or regulatory obligation: this means processing your personal data where it is necessary for compliance with a legal or regulatory obligation that we are subject to.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us firstname.lastname@example.org
We have details below the ways we use your personal data and our legal basis for processing:
Exercising our rights under contract for the sales of goods or services:
- Fulfilling and managing your requests, purchases and accounts with us – for example so that we can:
- Process orders, deliver products and services, process payments and carry out any other obligations arising from any sales entered into between you and us;
- Provide you with customer service functions to see if there was a problem with your use of the website;
- Notify you about changes to our website, or services;
- Maintain and update your account with us;
- Keep our business records and fulfill our contractual obligations.
Undertake our legitimate interests as a business. These include, but are not limited to:
- analysing your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you. To help us to do this effectively, we may make use of additional information about you that is available from external sources;
- offering you the opportunity to take part in customer feedback surveys, user groups, competitions and prize promotions. Your participation in competitions and/or surveys is entirely voluntary, and you are under no obligation to take up an invitation from us to participate;
- delivering relevant advertising to you; and
- measuring the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you, which may be based on your activity on our website(s) or those of third parties.
- enhancing your interaction and experience with us – for example so that we can: administer our website including for internal operations, trouble-shooting, testing, research, and for statistical and survey purposes;
- improve and optimise our website customer experience and develop new services;
- analyse how you and others use our website and stores;
- customise your experience when using our Site or other services; and
- ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of our people and partners.
Ensuring that we discharge and undertake our statutory, regulatory and legal obligations which may include:
- our obligations to our insurers;
- prevention of fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities; and
- keeping our business records and fulfil our contractual obligations.
- administering and protecting our business and website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data).
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a lawful basis for processing your personal information, other than in relation to:
- sending certain direct marketing communications to you;
- using cookies on our website or mobile apps (where such cookies are not of the strictly necessary type for functional purposes);
- processing special categories of personal information in relation to health, medical or disability information, which you choose to provide to us (to the extent that this is not required for complying with a legal or regulatory obligation)
- providing you with information that might be of particular interest to you (such as upcoming events)
You have the right to withdraw consent at any time by contacting us email@example.com
Embedded Content from Other Websites
Pages on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who We Share Information With:
We will not sell or rent your personal information to any third party without your express consent unless we are required or permitted to do so by law. In order to ensure that we offer the best service and can carry out the functions detailed within the How We Use Information section above, it may be necessary for us to share the information we collect (which may include your personal data) with carefully selected and trusted business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the fulfilment of any contract we enter into with them and you.
For example, we may share:
- your name, delivery address, email and phone number with our logistics partners such as Packsmart.
- your identity, billing address and payment card information with our payment processors so that payment for an order can be collected for example Opayo.
- your identity and payment card information with credit reference agencies so that they can check your card is not being used without your consent
- your identity, billing address and payment information with third parties in order to conform to any requirements of law or to comply with any legal process, for example to prevent and detect fraud and to protect and defend our rights and property
When using third party providers, we only provide them with the information that they need in order to deliver the service, restrict them from using the data for any other purposes and require them to keep your information secure. Where we share financial details, these will always be entered on a secured page and transferred using SSL, a cryptographic protocol designed to provide communication security over the Internet.
Our website hosting is provided by SiteGround. You can view their terms and policies online and find how they ensure the safety of your data.
More About How We Communicate With You:
We send two types of emails: customer service emails which are required to maintain our website and services; and newsletter or other marketing communications which contain special offers, discounts and information that might be of interest to you.
While customer service emails are necessary to help you benefit from our services, you may choose not to receive marketing communications when you set up your account with us. You may also unsubscribe from receiving marketing communications from us at any time, by following the unsubscribe link in our emails, or by modifying your subscription preferences in your account.
By signing up for our newsletters or to receive other marketing communications from us, you accept that your personal data may be used as outlined above, for such purposes. Our emails are delivered to you using MailChimp and you can view how MailChimp handle your personal data by visiting their website here.
How We Protect Your Data
We have security measures in place to protect our website and your data. These include:
- A web application firewall and login protection to prevent malicious access to our website
- Daily security scans and 24/7 monitoring in place to detect issues before they become problems
- Timely updates to software including security fixes
- Daily backups of all website files and data, kept for one month then deleted.
What Are Your Rights and How Can You Control the Data We Hold On You?
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by post, email, SMS, and telephone unles you have given your consent. You can withdraw this consent at any time. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by updating your account online, following the unsubscribe link in our email, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Rights You Have Over Your Data
You have the right to find out what information we hold about you. You can exercise that right by contacting us and we will send you any request for information in a suitable electronic form within 30 days. To make a request for information please contact email@example.com and a member of our team will be in touch.
If your personal data is incorrect then you have the right to rectify this information and ensure that it is accurate and up to date. If your data is incorrect then please contact us at the email address above and a member of the team will rectify this on your behalf.
You have the right to be forgotten and to have your personally identifiable information permanently deleted from our systems. Again, if you would like to exercise this right then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be no charge made for reasonable electronic access to your information, your right to rectification or for your right to be forgotten from our systems.
Join our newsletter
Sign up to our newsletter for news on our schedule, happenings and products.